Wednesday, November 14, 2007

What's in a Name?

Here we go! Glencoe-Appin Pastoral Charge is on-line and plunging into the cyberworld with this weblog, commonly referred to as a "blog".

The biggest hurdle in setting this up was deciding what to call it. I thought about the catchy and intriguing GLAPUNCH (GLencoe APpin UNited CHurches) but settled for the dignified and easy to remember "glencoeappin" for the web address.

Then the computer wanted to know what the title of this blog would be. Stymied to think of anything clever or witty, I turned to an anagram generator and it turns out that the letters of "Glencoe-Appin" are a rich resource for many rearranged words (like "Cleaning Pope" or "caning people" or "a pigpen clone" or numerous other phrases involving "acne"). In the end, "Pen a Long Epic" and the letter-like graphic layout seemed to be most appropriate.

As for my cybername, BuddhaKenji? It's a fusion of East and West (well, maybe the "West" part isn't immediately apparent), where I claim my heritage and blend the richness of the Shinto Buddhist and Christian traditions that make me who I am. You can find more than you care to know about my life and thoughts (and pictures of the kids) on my personal blog.

As for this webpage, I hope to use it to share news and information about events in the life of the church, gather ideas for worship planning, and to be an active and visible presence of the churches in this computerized world.

You can use the "Comments" feature below to respond to what you see posted here. Welcome to this epic; welcome to the story of faith that we are writing together!