Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The Meaning of Death

Recently at Trinity, we grieved (and still do) the loss of a veritable pillar of the congregation. Her rapid, cancer-related death raised the question of why good people have to suffer.

As if this wasn't tragic enough, I'm still reeling from the news of the very unexpected death of a young father from Appin. He leaves behind two young children the day before his 26th birthday - and Father's Day is this Sunday. How does one make sense of this? I have no answers and don't pretend that our belief in God's love or the hope of resurrection are any real comfort at a time like this.

I'm thankful that a colleague from his family's church will be assisting with the memorial service; the situation hits a little too close to home for me and I'm not sure how I'd be able to hold it together. Sorry if this post is too self-indulgent or therapy-seeking, but I needed to put something out there.