Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Clearing Cobwebs

Getting back to the church routine, I was tending to Office Hours and after a month of being away, found myself brushing away cobwebs that had formed in the church.

It's an apt metaphor, personally, as I feel a little foggy and fuzzy-headed coming back to work after a couple weeks of vacation and a week of intense pastoral focus with the people at Kairos 2008.

It's also a telling metaphor for what the church is seeking to do - shake free of dusty, antiquated doctrine that clings like tradition. For this reason, I've been working on a "new" worship format for Sundays that hopes to be more interactive, engaging and less one-directional from the pulpit to the pews. Whether or not this meets a need, flops famously or is totally unnecessary, we'll find out soon enough. When I have a better picture of what all of this entails, I'll be back with a post to introduce the ideas.