Monday, December 13, 2010

A Last Letter

The epistles of the Bible remind us that ministry is a transitory endeavour; people drift in and out of our lives and communities, imparting lessons and sharing experiences, before moving onto different adventures. Such is the place where we find ourselves now as the new year will have me moving to Calvary United Church (no, not Calgary) in London (no, not England). Which was a development that came together rather quickly and unexpectedly this past summer, but was an opportunity too good to pass up.


In the transition time since July, I have been very careful keep focused on the work and ministry with Glencoe-Appin. I have no idea what my new office is like and will meet the rest of the staff team later this month. In return, I will be conscious about maintaining boundaries and keeping a professional distance from the goings-on here once I arrive at Calvary.


One of the things I that I will miss is the community-minded focus of the congregations. I appreciate the cooperation through the Ministerial Association and the strong support of one other, regardless of denomination. So I think it is very fitting that in this spirit, any pressing pastoral care needs that might arise in the new year will be accommodated by my colleagues and friends in the ministerial.


As for what else is to come, the mood of Advent is quite appropriate. Jesus of smalltown Nazareth, son of Mary and Joseph, was born into a time of anxiety and worry about what the future will bring. In a downtrodden and despairing society, no one expected that his life would change our relationship with God and life and death. It is a similar uncertainty that our congregations face.


Currently, the conditions are ripe for some meaningful and significant ministry strategies to blossom. There are upcoming vacancies in nearby congregations combined with a longstanding history of cooperation among the “rural regional” network, and commitment from Presbytery to work towards a viable and vital United Church presence in this area. It is this advent of church work and visioning that needs your ideas, opinions and trust!


As for now, we remember the arrival of the Christ Child, contemplating what it means for God to be with us. Christmas Eve worship is at Trinity United Church, 7:30 and my final act as minister with Glencoe-Appin will be a joint worship service at Appin United on Boxing Day morning at 9:45 a.m.


I’m not so great with good-byes, because part of me knows that the world is a small place and that our paths will cross again. Thank you for the way you welcomed and supported my family and I; you have been a blessing for us. May the fullness of the season, hope for the future and courage for the journey will be yours.

In Christ’s love,

Rev. Kenji Marui