Sunday, August 10, 2008

Study Leave Report

Before beginning a couple weeks of vacation, I thought I'd offer a quick summary of what my Study Leave has yielded.

I finished reading The New Christians: Dispatches from the Emergent Frontier by Tony Jones, who I heard speak while at Princeton this spring. He identifies some characteristics of the "emergent church" movement (namely an open, fluid, and relational gathering of friends rather than adhering to strictures of doctrine or organizational bureaucracy) and describes the work of some congregations that operate in this fashion.

I began reading Gretta Vosper's controversial With or Without God which was given to me last month. While I agree with many of her points, such as the need for the church as an expression of faith and spirit to change, I find her tone off-putting. She comes across as self-absorbed and is rather rigid in her characterizations (which is ironic considering how open to change she might profess to be). Granted, I haven't finished the book yet and these are only initial impressions.

I've written, submitted and modified an article for Mandate Magazine of The United Church of Canada about missional youth ministry based on the conference in Princeton.

I've done some planning for the upcoming fall and winter Sunday services to the end of 2008 and done some thinking about an Order of Service that might make worship more interactive and engaging for youth and children while preserving the form and function of tradition. (Yes, it is as easy as it sounds).

An outline of themes and scriptures are available here. I'm open to hearing of any suggestions or ideas.

And now it's holiday time.